Wednesday, June 14, 2017

The Girl in the Shadows

I thought I'd paste a bit of a story I started about 11-12 years ago.  I feel like I have the rough draft set but need to polish it up in order to fully release it.  I'd love to have feedback from this intro.  Does it make you want to read more?  Let me know!
thanks
BettyK


The Girl in the Shadows by BettyK

           There was a shadow of a girl standing in the bushes as we drove by, I turned and looked again and she wasn’t there- was it me?  It’s dark outside and the headlights play against the buildings, the moonlight gives trees and utility poles new form- ghostly form.  

            I see that which isn’t there, I feel unreasonable sensations, and then I am all alone.  At least I can be alone, in this car, while the driver is in his own thoughts.  No radio playing, no conversation exchanged, just the rhythm of the road at night.  Two people traveling together, yet alone.

            I know where I’ve been, where I am going is still a slowly unraveling mystery.  There are places I have visited and returned to.  The place I find myself tonight is far better than some of the hollows of my conscious memories.  I remember pain, I remember fear, I know there was joy and pleasure back there as well-this is pale though.  The vivid colors are in the memories that mar. 


            I’m on the road again.  We are getting close to home.  How did we get here so fast, I didn’t pay attention?   There is that girl again. She is hiding behind a willow tree in a darkened yard.  Why does she look like a scene from a familiar horror movie to me?  I guess the more important question that screams in my thoughts would be – what is she looking at? 


No comments:

Post a Comment