Friday, June 23, 2017

Please be careful out there

This is a re-post of an entry I made in 2011.  I am posting it to remind people that we still need to be aware of our surroundings!  As we have moved to Albuquerque we see so many more transient people and we have been exposed to so many more situations, it is just a good reminder to be aware of current criminal behavior and crime patterns to watch out for in your area.  When there are multiple crimes with similar details you can prepare yourself to be increasingly cautious concerning those settings or types of individuals.  There is no need to walk in complete fear, yet there is wisdom in knowing what to watch out for and action you can take to remain safe.  I hope this story of what happened to me helps you be aware of details and safer in your daily routine.

BettyK


I had a strange occurrence at the grocery store yesterday.
I was by myself and a little in a rush so sort of distracted when a man approached me and asked if I would buy him some food.  He looked a little lean and rough so I thought he was just down on his luck as they say & needed a little help.  I asked him what he was looking for and he told me some items like beans etc. and I just said why don't I just give him some cash to get what he needs & I just gave him a $10.  He seemed bothered by that, but I took it as he was embarrassed to take just money.  He tried to talk to me a bit, asking what I do and some other questions, but I tried to go on my way and told him have a really nice day & moved myself along.

Before I knew it he was in front of me again, asking if I would just take him through the line with him and buy him stuff- I said I was in a hurry & really needed to go, he got a little agitated again & said "I really want you to just go through the line with me and buy my stuff" then I more firmly said I need to go & this wasn't an option.

I thought I was clear & this was a little strange but wasn't registering to me. Then I get up to the checkout line and as I turn to get my last item he is right there, with others behind him so I think he had cut in to get right next to me and he is close enough so it looks like we are together & he starts talking to me of young women being abducted and tortured and many other statements I won't write - then starts telling me something of what he thinks of a woman who would be captured and raped & tortured for days & I am looking to the checkout guy- a very young guy- and I am pleading with him with my eyes for help.

I acted like I needed to talk to the checkout guy but quickly mention to this man that people who do things like that need Jesus & he sort of takes off & leaves but makes sure he leaves by coming up behind me an 'squeezing' behind my body to get out of the isle.

As he walks away I ask the store clerk for help & he gets a bigger store clerk with a little more age on him to walk me to my car. I tell him some of what this man was saying so he calls the police- he asks me if I see him and there he was- at the other store exit getting on a 10 speed bike looking over then riding out of the parking lot over to the Taco Bell.  I felt so sick inside- I got in my car, locked my doors & got home.

As I related to my husband what happened I really started to shake & cry, I realized some of the things this guy did- he was trolling for a target.

He had a bottle of mustard in his hand when he approached me and appeared like he was looking for something to purchase in the store so he wouldn't stand out- but when he approached me there were others in my area, 2 couples, and 2 individual men- yet he approached me and when he did he seemed to try to draw me to the side by his manner of talking & movements, placing the mustard on the shelf out of place from another isle, I think he was carrying this because it was small and easy to put away- I wasn't thinking then so I didn't notice this detail.

He was trying to get me to come through the line with him and buy his food because he wanted to follow me out to my car- this took him asking 3 times to do this before I realized why he may want to yet then I still didn't comprehend why he may want to do this.

When he was talking to me as he cornered me at the checkout he seemed like he was really loosing his opportunity with me so he got blatent with his thoughts and said the most uncomfortable & scary things- and seemed like he was trying to find a way to still get me to go out to my car & he get a chance to follow me...I realize as I think through his actions & words I was looking a very dangerous person in the eyes.  I want to caution all of you but also wanted to get a description of him on here in case any of you encounter such a guy.  As I said the store clerk was calling the police but as he was this guy was riding off on a bike and by time they go t there I am sure could have been long gone.

This was at Giant Market on Columbia ave.  He has brownish hair with a slight dark red tint to it- he had rough sort of burly hair & it was a little to his shoulders, he had a beard and green eyes I believe. He was on the lean side but still strong enough looking, about early to mid 30's I think in age, was hard to tell that. He was wearing a med blue pair pf shorts that were it seems inside out. I think he was also wearing a hat of some sort. He also had a med blue sweatshirt on & was a little dirty looking.

SO I hate to post this but at the same time- I really cannot write how this shook me, I don't want to be dramatic but I feel like I was stalked by a person who intends to or may have already done serious harm.  I am contacting the store today to see how things went with the police and then contacting the police to be sure they have the description of the guy and my statement.

Please be cautious when shopping, lock your car, watch who is around you, try not to go alone esp. towards evening- this was just around 5:30 for me.

Be aware, be peaceful and stay safe!

BettyK

No comments:

Post a Comment